The science festival has been organized in our school for many years.
We have 3 years documentation: 2015,16,17 and plans for 2018. It is the best way to show students the scientific world in an interesting convention.
- Science Festival 2015
We have proved that learning does not have to be boring!
On 11 February 2015, the Science Festival took place in our school. The students participated in lectures, workshops, demonstrations prepared by scientists and animators from the Copernicus Science Center. Despite the fact that the classes lasted from 8.55 – to 15.30 it was impossible to get acquainted with everything that was prepared for this day. Already during the festival, questions were asked by the students: When is the next festival? The offer prepared for students on this day was very interesting:
Copernicus Science Center: animators Magdalena A. and Robert N. prepared interesting pressure shows;
Centre for Informatics Education and Computers Application: showed students how to make computer-aided measurements, junior high school students listened to a lecture entitled “Mountain climbing, traveling or the world through the eyes of a globetrotter” led by MSc Małgorzata W. The lecture was combined with a demonstration of climbing equipment and extensive documentation;
University of Warsaw: Professor Andrzej W. led the workshop “Graphene – the main role”;
We hosted Dr. Grzegorz T. from the Forestry Research Institute, who gave a lecture on “The Earth of the Planet of Insects”. Students who were interested in geography listened to a lecture on the Lake Baikal conducted by Ph.D. Krzysztof K. Ph.D. Maryla M. convinced us that “The noise is around us”;
There were also student shows, the students participating in them had the opportunity to learn not only the exact sciences (presentation “Programming and robotics” prepared students 1g gim, Jakub S., Przemysław P.), humanities (presentations prepared girls from IIIb), but also natural sciences (presentation “Long-term experiences, The influence of selected factors on plant growth”, 1e gim, Jan B., Grzegorz P. “Extended reality, or experiments with Professor Why” prepared students from class 1c, Maciej W., Bartek M.);
There were also language games for those who wanted to test their language skills, which was prepared by MSc Gabriela A. At the end of the festival there was also a mathematical competition.
The whole festival was coordinated by MSc Renata Sidoruk- Sołoducha and MSc Marta Pietrzak.
Movie from the 2015 Science Festival https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LRDWSDPo8E
- Science Festival 2016
V Science Festival took place in our school on 03.03 2016 between 8.00-15.30. Students participated in demonstrations, meetings, lectures and other forms of popularizing science prepared by invited guests as well as older and younger colleagues. What kind of attractions took place that day?
The Copernicus Science Center prepared a show about music;
Centre for Informatics Education and Computers Application showed Computer-aided measurements;
Professor Andrzej W. from the University of Warsaw talked about “Optical phenomena in nature”;
MSc. Edyta W. from Edu Esri Polska explaind about the topic of “GIS(Geographic Information System) in education”;
Ph.D. Jakub C. lectured on Antarctica;
Ph.D. Grzegorz T. from the Forest Research Institute told about “Biodiversity of insects”;
Ph.D. Maryla M., Institute of Noise talked about “Noise around us”;
Lego and programming, company Akces Edukacja, Iga M.;
UW Professor from University of Warsaw Szymon M. had a lecture on “Clouds and light”;
Biocenen Company, Natural experiments from kitchen;
“GPS or modern ways of orientation in the field” was held by MSc Przemysław Ł., the chief specialist in satellite navigation, M. Pietro K., specialist in the operation of GPS, GARMIN;
Prof. Marian K. from Warsaw University of Technology “Warsaw Water”;
Ph.D. Aneta N., Medical Academy Warsaw, “Old and new diseases, vaccines”;
Paweł B., Ph.D. Izabela W., Institute of Ecology and Bioethics WFCh UKSW, “Plant-herbivore relations”;
“NOT e-montional”, Konrad W., Zuzanna J., students from the High School. Miguel de Cervantes and the High School N. Zmichowska;
Psychological and acting workshops.
Student demonstrations covered the following fields of study:
- Psychological experiment
- Natural experiments of KMO (Young Explorers’ Club)
- Chemical experiments
- The history of aviation, presentation of a hovercraft
- Scratch or kitten in programming
- Geographical projects: Great Britain, Madagascar
- Humanistic presentations: World War II, with the eyes of a civilian, the Warsaw Ghetto
- Physical experiments, Alternative energy sources
- Mathematics in game programming
- Addicts I say non-behavioral and chemical addictions.
- Toxic substances
- Physical designs
The Science Festival was greatly enjoyed by young people. Student demonstrations, lectures and workshops were very popular among students who regretted that the festival lasts only one day a year.
- Science Festival 2017
23, 27 and 28 March 2017 – three days of meetings, three days of challenges, three days that warmed up the minds.
Within the walls of our school we had the honor and pleasure to host about thirty specialists from various fields of knowledge – natural sciences, humanities and social sciences.
We were visited by lecturers and doctoral students from University of Warsaw, Warsaw Medical University, Warsaw University of Life Sciences, specialists from the Center for Information Education and Computer Applications and GARMIN, experts from the KGP Prevention Department, prominent journalists, well-known travellers.
On March 23 and 28, students had the opportunity to listen to five lectures, participate in dozens of workshops and classes conducted using the seminar method.
On 27 March a field game (geocaching) took place in Saska Kępa, which was once again prepared by the European Club functioning at XXXV High School B. Prus. Students also presented their achievements – seventeen works and projects in the field of environmental protection, the latest achievements of technology and human sciences. School self-government accumulating (with success!) Funds for the kitchenette available to students ran a cafe, invited for delicious baked goods prepared by colleagues from all first and second grades.
Our plans – Science Festival 8.03.2018
- Many guests are invited from Warsaw University, Warsaw Medical University,
- Museum of John Paul II and Primate Wyszynski,
- There will be a lot of journalist workshops,
- Lecture “Reality hidden in a metaphor”. A few words about metaphors that we use willingly, and we do not even know about it,
- Lecture: “Colors of plants”,
- Workshops “Graphene and magic of 2D crystals”,
- Exhibition of paintings by a schoolgirl,
- Lecture on contemporary human evolution,
- Summary of the translation competition.
- Students from the Youth Explorers’ Club (http://kmo.org.pl/?strona=uzytkownik_galerie&uzytkownik_id=199) are preparing numerous demonstrations of projects and experiments.
- We are planning a Science Escape Room – biological laboratory:
With technology in the world of science or “Science Escape Room with ICT in the lead role”. Who of us does not like secrets, riddles, secrets. And as Karel Čapek wrote: “Get to know – it’s a mystery.”
There was an accident in one of the laboratories of the future. An unspecified system broke into pieces and with it scientists were trapped in the room. Using the acquired knowledge, participants of the game cooperate with each other to find hidden puzzles, solve them, recreate the damaged layout, find the lost key and get out of the laboratory. The ally of this game will of course be ICT tools.
Goals of the fun:
- Students use knowledge of human anatomy and physiology in practice,
- Students work together to answer questions and reconstruct the digestive system.
In a word of explanation:
Students receive instructions at the beginning. They work as a group for success. The teacher explains that in various places in the hall there are hidden tasks (organs) to be found. In addition to solving puzzles, students also find the room key.
- Envelopes with riddles – qr cody in which 14 elements of the digestive system were hidden (mouth, teeth, tongue, salivary glands, throat, esophagus, stomach, small intestine, duodenum, large intestine, pancreas, liver, gallbladder, appendix),
- A chest with a key and curiosities about the digestive system, or the “hero” of the search,
- Cipher padlock for the chest,
- Manual – evacuation procedure,
- Work card – outline of the human body,
- Tablet with a free application: qr code reader (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=tw.mobileapp.qrcode.banner&hl=en) and Anatomy 4d (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.daqri.d4DAnatomy&hl=en) with a printed outline of the body (http://anatomy4d.daqri.com/documents/anatomy-posters-all.pdf)
- Pencil, crayons to draw individual organs of the digestive system,
- A card with the words on the hall door made in the program (https://wordart.com/).
SCIENCE ESCAPE ROOM LABORATORY – EVALUATION PROCEDURE:
- You enter the laboratory with the whole class.
- The teacher in the room is just a passive observer.
- We search the laboratory to find a key that will allow you to leave the room.
- However, getting out of the room is not a win.
- The victory consists in solving puzzles, finding organs and reconstructing a damaged system from the human body.
- Everything you can find can be useful.
- You have 40 minutes for the whole job and leaving the laboratory.
- You are solely on your own.
- We keep our fingers crossed for you 🙂
Summary: Learning through play using modern technologies and free software can be an interesting variation on school boredom for use on every subject.
- A cafe for the Women’s Day.