We are a school offering IT education for female students. Our students met outstanding executives of the IT sector between 23/04/2018 and 27/04/2018. To this end we set out some headlines (artificial intelligence, cloud tech, female entrepreneurship, STEM, Gamification etc.) We are planned to get together with executives of the field via 5 different seminars according to our students’ wishes through a vote. Therefore, we called our project “Make a Wish”. During the STEM Discovery Week, we aim to raise our female students’ awareness and parents on technology and STEM with the help of executives we host in our school.
STEM Discovery Week Activities:
1. I asked my students which seminars or workshops they wanted a week ago. A voting process was carried out.
2. As a result of the voting process, Internet security, STEM contests, cyber security and Minecraft workshops were the most requested activities.
3. In our work, we gave importance to school-sector cooperation.
4. Microsoft trainer, Ömer SARPDAĞ, organised a Minecraft workshop with 22 students. The workshop, which lasted about 3 hours, was very efficient for my students.
5. Berk İMRAN, a cyber security expert from Kirikkale University, taught cyber security to my students. 220 students participated in the training in the conference hall of our school.
6. Internet security training for our students and parents was provided. The seminar was carried out by the Information and Communication Technologies Authority (ICTA) trainer Aydın ÇATAK. 110 parents of students participated in the seminar. After the seminar, a question and answer section was made. 300 hand brochures were distributed to the parents.
7. The last request of my students was a STEM competition. We had a Marshmallow challenge contest at our school. The students who made the longest and most robust tower with the given materials became the winners of the competition. Our students were rewarded through sponsors. 50 students attended the competition.
- 402 students and parents attended the STEM Discovery Week events.
- After the Minecraft Workshop, my students developed educational materials for pupils.
- Thanks to safe Internet education given to our parents, our students will be safer on the Internet.
- My colleagues at school were aware of STEM Discovery Week and Scientix. I think it’s a nice dissemination work.
Selçuk Yusuf ARSLAN
Scientix Ambassador, TR
School-Industry Colloboration is really important nowadays