This activity has been carried out by a group of fourth-degree students of the ‘IES L’ALLUSSER’ secondary school.

We started the project reading an article about the possibility of building a station on the moon. The objective was to use this station to future expeditions to Mars. In the beginning, four people could live in the station.

https://www.elsiglodetorreon.com.mx/noticia/1350601.asi-se-disenan-los-planos-para-construir-casas-en-la-luna.html |

The students started to draw their plans to scale. They based their calculations in the real mesures (we extracted the information from the article that we had read). They drew a plan using ‘GeoGebra’ (a dynamic mathematics software). At the end we made the scale model with ‘Tinkercad’ ( a 3D modelling tool), we converted the file into ‘stl’ format and we printed it.


As the aim of the station was to go to live there, the students had to make some calculations:

– The surface of each part of the station and the whole one.

– The surface of the astronauts rooms.

– The free surface after putting beds and tables.

– In the vegetable patch, we are going to put eight rectangular plots of 1,20m wide by 3m long. Around the plots should there be enough space to walk by it (approx. 40 cm). They have to place the plots in the vegetable patch taking full advantage of the space. There must be enough space to store the garden tools.

– The volume of water that fits in two cylindrical containers. How many days could they stay there with that volume of water. ( Data: each person needs 2 liters of water a day)

– The volume of air that fits inside the moon station.

– How long it would take to deplete the oxygen if the ventilation system is damaged.( data: a person needs approximately 30 litres of oxygen per hour. 50% of an enclosure air is oxygen).

This project has been performed by:

– Teachers: Julia Muñoz and Fernando Arenas.

– Students (4th Reinforcement Program): Ismael, Lucía, Julia, Rocío, Pau, Laura, Sara, Víctor, Alejandro, Manuel, Benji, Juanjo, Raúl, Darina.

We have shared the project with our school: