Author: Roumiana Anguelova
Two classes 10A and 10B from February 2020 worked on the topic “Mathematics and Ecology”. The students were divided into small study groups ( 3, 4 or 5 students):
- Fuel Analyzers;
- Heating Analyzers;
- Water Pollution Analyzers;
- Аir Pollution Analyzers;
- Soil Contamination Analyzers;
- Acid Rain Analyzers;
- Specialist car catalysts;
- Pulmonary Disease Experts.
The mathematics teacher set up tasks that had to be solved with graphs, mathematical models, working with nano-dimensional units. The chemistry teacher led the teams. The online event was held as a binary lesson on 29th of April in Microsoft Teams Office 365.
Each group of analysts was working on a problem related to the causes of disturbance of ecological balance and its consequences. Each team developed a presentation or movie, outlining the measures. The groups are currently continuing their work online.
Working in a small study and research groups helps to:
- encouraging students to improve the quality of knowledge, skills and habits;
- stimulation and development of thinking, creative abilities for the formation of positive STEM motivation and cognitive interests;
- implementation of differentiation and individualization of training;
- formation of learning and cognitive skills and habits;
- stimulating competition between students and groups;
- formation of skills for organization and coordination of joint actions;
- development of self-control and self-assessment in students;
- increasing the motivation of students for responsible learning activities;
- improving the intra-collective relations, skills and habits group activity.
We consider the following stages in the work of small study and research groups:
- The motivation for participation: various activities were carried out that provoke interest, many important goals for each student were specified;
- Formation of the groups: the groups were formed, their activity started;
- Distribution of responsibilities: the goals and roles in the group were clarified;
- Guidance: unity was achieved for the way the group worked, it is specified how the communication with the mentor/mentors should be carried out;
- Activities: the group worked and solved its specific research tasks. The development of relations in the group, finding common features and shared views strengthened the cohesion of the group.
- Presentation of the results: the group presented the results of its work – presentations, boards, models, dynamic models;
- Evaluation of achievements: evaluation criteria was developed. The groups evaluated the individual reports, presentations and presentations of the other groups. Teachers evaluated the reports and projects of each group. A comprehensive review of the results of the work was made. It was assessed how much the individual student contributed to the work of the group.
The binary lesson was attended by 52 students, 12 working groups. The lesson was led by the mathematics teacher Rоumiana Anguelova and the chemistry teacher Stanislava Boyadzhieva. Deputy principals Yordanov and Kumanova, teachers and parents took part in the binary lesson as well.
The duration was 2 school hours.
Our planet Earth is gasping! Stop the pollution! Let’s be disciplined! To be responsible !!!
Visit our Youtube channel!
The event took place with high engagement of all students. Everyone was satisfied.