Quality Education and Gender Equality are two important goals in the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development. Today, gender equality in education has been achieved to a great extent. However, when employment in STEM Careers is considered in terms of gender, it is seen that there is a great imbalance against women. The equality of the number of men and women working in technology can only be achieved by directing female students to more technical fields during school years.
About the project
Girls in STEM is an eTwinning project that aims to encourage female students’ participation in STEM careers. The project includes 15 schools, 16 teachers and 103 students from 6 countries.The expected results of the project include the awareness of the important scientific discoveries made by women and their effects, the development of cooperation and communication skills by doing group work in mixed country teams, the effective use of technology and the development of communication skills in foreign language.
We started working on the project on February 10, 2021. During our project, we used Twinspace’s internal communication tools as well as WhatsApp and Zoom for communication between partners. In the project, we first provided statistical information to our students about the representation of women in STEM fields and the preference of female students in STEM related departments at the university. Then, we applied our questionnaire on society, women and STEM to determine the tendency of our students to choose a STEM related profession. By organizing online meetings, we brought our students together with professionals working in STEM fields. In this context, Adiyaman University Faculty of Engineering Metallurgy and Materials Engineering Department academic Zuhal KARAGÖZ GENÇ, Civil Engineer Beste Selekoğlu, Otorhinolaryngologist Dr. Lecturer Fulya ÖZER and Radiologist Prof. Dr. Özlem ALKAN shared their professional experiences with our students.
In the final phase of our project, our students prepared joint presentations about pioneering women who worked in science, technology, engineering and mathematics in mixed country teams. Some of the web 2.0 tools that our students use while working on the project are Canva, Google Forms, Google Slides, Padlet, Genially, Coggle and LearningApps. We have a project blog that we created in cooperation as project partners and we will collect the project outputs in an e-book.
For more information please visit the Twinspace and project blog.
The partners are
- Özlem Kahraman (Founder), Çorlu Ticaret Borsası Anadolu Lisesi, Turkey
- Rukiye Ok (Founder), Batıkent Mesleki ve Teknik Anadolu Lisesi, Turkey
- Aida Petrovska, ООУ “Димитар Миладинов” Скопје, North Macedonia
- Antonija Borovac, Poštanska i telekomunikacijska škola, Croatia
- Begoña Menéndez Canal, IES Doña Jimena, Spain
- Buket Karakaş, Şehit Metin Arslan Kız Anadolu İmam Hatip Lisesi, Turkey
- Didem Ulu, Tekirdağ Doğa Koleji, Turkey
- Ella Rakovac Bekeš, I.gimnazija Osijek, Croatia
- Ineta Lielkalne, Krišjāņa Valdemāra Ainažu pamatskola, Latvia
- Irina Soselia, LEPL Zugdidi muncipality village Chkhoria public school, Georgia
- Maka Tolordava, Akhalabastumani Public school, Georgia
- Mònica Amores, INS Thos i Codina, Spain
- Ramon Dangla Soms, INS Thos i Codina, Spain
- Serap Çinar, Necip Fazıl Kısakürek Anadolu Lisesi, Turkey
- Zerrin Alkan, Mersin Anadolu İmam Hatip Lisesi, Turkey
- Özlem Okuyan, Özel Çerkezköy Organize Sanayi Bölgesi Mesleki ve Teknik Anadolu Lisesi, Turkey
It is the best project. I wish you good luck.
Hİİ IM TURKHİS