|Production is one of the most important factors for the future of a society. Societies that support their own production have completed the most important step for development. This learning scenario is also celebrated in December each year in Turkey “domestic goods week” is intended to draw attention to domestic production. It is aimed that students|
comprehend what production means and design pots that they can make their own production with recycling.
1- Understands the relationship between production and domestic goods.
2- learn the effects of climate change on our environment
3- Solving the problems they encounter in daily life according to the engineering design stages (STEM)
4- To increase the awareness that some of our wastes in our homes will be recycled.
4 lesson hours
Students are asked to design pots from recycled materials (waste paper).
- Waste papers
- Paint and brush
- A container with the shape of geometric bodies
- Seeds and soil
INTER- DISCIPLINARY RELATIONS:
- It contributes to the recycling of consumed materials.
- It gives an example of the contribution of recycling to itself and the environment in which it lives.
- Indicates the surfaces, corners and edges of cube, square prism, rectangular prism, triangular prism, cone and sphere models.
- Explain the similar and different aspects of cube, square prism and rectangular prism.
- Uses the engineering design cycle. Prepare, test and develop the product’s prototype
- Uses the necessary technologies to design components. Uses the necessary measurement tools to develop the prototype. Through his technology literacy, he demonstrates the ability to access information, select, use and troubleshoot existing technologies, and develop ideas and theories by actively exploring real-world problems
A warm-up game is played before starting the event. The lesson gets a fun start by playing the game of carrying the ping-pong ball to improve cooperation.
Then, our student’s first starting point is to research the subject of “Production”. According to the results of the research;
- If you were a farmer, what would you like to produce?
- Which countries would you like to sell the products you produce?
- Does this trade have a name?
- By asking questions, the opinions of the students on the subject are taken. They are asked to write these opinions on paper.
The concepts of “import and export” are emphasized and attention is drawn to the issue of domestic production in our country. Videos about the products we export are watched.
It is requested to go to the market on that day to examine and list the foods that write domestic production. The lists are shared with friends in the other lesson. It is stated that wastes are a big problem for our country and the problem situation is presented. Materials are determined for our problem situation that supports both recycling and production. Students who are asked to design pots that they can produce using waste papers are divided into teams with the team-maker application. Each team first researches the pulp and starts to design their flower pots containing geometric objects using waste papers. When the designs are finished, the seeds brought are planted in pots and the designs are evaluated.
GROUP OF OUR ACTIVITY FROM PAPER TO FLOWER POT EVALUATION FORM Group No:
Event Name: FROM PAPER TO FLOWER POT
Explanation: In the table below, tick the option that best describes your group.
|always sometimes never|
|1. Research for|
|2. Suitable and|
|3. Using geometric|
|4. Using time|
|5. Cooperation and|
As a result of this learning scenario, students ;
- Understanding how important the production issue is for a countUnderstanding how important the production issue is for a country,
- Knowing why foods produced in our country should be preferred,
- Realizing the concepts of export and import,
- Ability to show geometric objects as edges, vertices and edges,
- It is aimed to be individuals who are aware of recycling and research what to do for a habitable planet.
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
|My name is Fatma Varlı. I graduated from Abant Izzet Baysal University as a classroom teacher. I love being with my 11-year-old teacher and my children. I teach at Cumhuriyet Primary School and I am a 2nd grade teacher. I am a Scientix ambassador.|
All visuals and videos belong to the Author – Attribution CC-BY