Unit-Subject: WE FIND METALS HIDDEN BETWEEN THE WASTE WITH THE HELP OF MAGNETIC FIELD (Magnet ).
Recommended Time: 25×5 minutes
The aim of our project is to raise a new generation that protects our nature. While doing this, it is to use natural resources correctly and to find solutions to daily life problems with STEM skills. To use natural resources correctly and to find solutions to daily life problems with STEM skills. By separating the wastes as metal, plastic and wood with a magnetic separator crane, we have provided the construction of a crane that saves the nature.
– Child and nature education
Pollution of nature, felling of trees and fires, conscious consumer society, reduction of plastic use, ecological literacy
– Facilitating students’ learning with the use of technology
-Our goal is to develop students’ cognitive, psycho-motor, language, self-care, social-emotional skills through workshops.
Problem Statement: In order for waste to be recycled, it must be properly separated. Glass waste should be together, plastics should be together, metal waste should be together. Sometimes this may not be possible. All wastes can be found in a mixed state. In such cases, can we easily separate metal wastes from other wastes? How can we separate the waste down to the smallest piece of metal?
Engage: The teacher asks the children to bring Newton-related images, paper clips and magnets to the class. A center of interest is created with all the materials brought. The teacher draws the attention of the children to the center of interest. They review the materials that come with the children. The teacher took a pencil and asked, “What will happen if I put down this pencil?” she asks. After the answers received, she puts down the pen. Observing the pencil falling to the ground, “Why do you think the pencil falls to the ground? The question is asked. Ask the children to guess. One day, while Newton was sitting in the shade of an apple tree, an apple fell on his head. “I found it!” he shouts. Well, what do you think he might have found?” Their ideas are taken.
By examining the pictures about Newton and painting the images, it is talked about that he made many discoveries in the fields of mathematics and physics.
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gwU0YcgZdag TRT Child Lemon with Mint/Gravity
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZGd5RC9Guaw What if gravity suddenly disappeared?
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XFAMi0AzuwU Smart Rabbit Momo/Magnet Song /TRT Kid
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dNPtI0lCRgs Learn about magnets
Magnet attracts metals to itself
Pulls, pulls. None of them can escape.
The magnet immediately finds the metals
Pulls, pulls. None can escape
EXPLANATION : A table is placed in an area where children can see it. Paper clips are placed scattered on the table. By moving the magnet under the table, the teacher causes the paper clips to be drawn towards the magnet. “It’s called the law of gravity.” All children are allowed to move the magnet.
We used the project-based learning method GEMS training model.
DEEPENING: Damages caused by wastes to the environment; air pollution, global warming, groundwater pollution, damage to vegetation, fire and explosions. How can we create a design that can easily separate metals from other wastes by taking advantage of the magnetic field effect?
Learning by design model and project based learning method are applied .
The prepared setup is exhibited and each group presents the design to the other groups.
EXPLORE: Children are told that they are going to play a game to defy gravity. The necessary materials for the game (two tennis balls, two hair dryers, four plastic plates) are prepared. Chairs are placed at the start and end points. Plastic plates are placed on the chairs and tennis balls are placed in the plates at the starting point. Two volunteer students are selected and asked to proceed to the starting point. By starting the machine with the start command, the students are made to turn their mouth upwards and leave the ball towards the air flow in a way that comes to the mouth of the machine. Thus, the ping pong ball stays in the air by itself against gravity. The child who gets the ball into the plate at the finish point without dropping it wins the game. The game continues until all children have played.
Zero waste : We built a crane that collects metal waste
Nature’s Steam School Our Collaborative Work:Crana orting Metal Waste – YouTube
melek stem discovery blog – YouTube
EVALUATION: Afterwards, each group evaluates the design prepared by the other groups. For this, he creates a rubric suitable for each class work and problem situation.
Are the magnets large enough to separate metals? (5 points)
Are the materials you use in your design solid? (5 points)
How original are the materials you use in your design? (5 points)
Author: Scientix Ambassador Gülsüm Atile Hakkı Tatoğlu, Primary School Antalya Turkey
- Stanislawa Stepien Kielce, Poland Przedszkole Samorządowe nr 18 w Kielcach
- Dilek Yıldırım Petek Aksu İlkokulu Türkiye
- Gülsüm Şık Göçgen SERİK DR.GÜLŞEN-DR.BAKİ ÖZPINAR İLKOKULU
- Andrea Izabela Botos CAREI, RomaniaLICEUL TEORETIC CAREI
- Fatma Öz Manavgat Anaokulu Türkiye
- Melek Çılgın Mustafa Şimşek Anaokulu Muratpaşa/ Türkiye
- Ewelina Koziol Kielce, Poland Przedszkole Samorządowe nr 18 w Kielcach
- Joana Leitão Montijo, Portugal Agrupamento de Escolas de Montijo
- Hülya Çevik Değirmendere İlkokulu Alanya Türkiye
- Ola Navara Przedszkole z Oddziałami Integracyjnymi w Koziegłowach Koziegłowy, Poland
- Semran Kaya Alper Duru Anaokulu Konyaaltı Türkiye
- Zeliha Alaç Hayme Hatun Anaokulu Manavgat
- Özlem Esen Yılmaz Sugözü Cemal Coşkun Ortaokulu Alanya Türkiye
- Ülfet Öncel Hanım Ömer Çağıran İlkokulu Muratpaşa/ Antalya