Author: Ayse Karaul Arslan
Bilsem (Science and Art Center) students meet scientists!
We are holding “Big Conversations with Small Groups” online meeting session throughout April. We hosted a guest every week and asked what we wondered. In total, 14 people (7 pupils, 6 professionals, and 1 teacher) joined this webinar series.
Our aim: to provide deep knowledge for gifted students of the issues we are curious about, to prevent special, talented children from staying away from science during Covid-19 and to meet STEM professionals and scientists.
Click here for our first conversation with Mr. Sinan Yirmibeşoğlu (Captain Research Assistant from ITU Faculty of Maritime) about global climate change from polar research perspective.
What did we talk about?
- What is global warming?
- What is the effect of the Coriolis force?
- In which region is the ozone layer thinner?
- What is the significance of Piri Reis’s map?
- How do the oceans meet our need for oxygen?
- How does plastic pollution affect oxygen production?
- How does the difference of solar reflectors in different regions affect the climate?
- What is the Albedo scale?
- How does global warming affect transportation to Antarctica?
- How did the Paris Agreement come about?